Requirements for education
Specialist in Pathology (/ Cytology) from within the EU
The competencies we are looking for in Clinical Pathology and Cytology are specialist doctors, preferably with at least three years of experience as a specialists in their field. Priority competencies are in cytology, both analysis of submitted material including cervical screening and diagnostics via puncture reception. Competences that are also sought after are in dermatopathology, gynaecological pathology, breast pathology and neuropathology.
Description of the activity
Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Clinical Pathology, consists of three laboratories (Sahlgrenska, Borås and NÄL / Trollhättan). We have about 100,000 samples per year and there are diagnostics in most subspecialized organ areas represented.
The Clinical Pathology business area currently has a total of approximately 270 employees based at Sahlgrenska Hospital in Gothenburg, Södra Älvsborg Hospital in Borås and Norra Älvsborg County Hospital in Trollhättan. Of these, about 50 are specialists / chief doctors in Pathology and in addition there are just over ten ST doctors.
At Sahlgrenska, we are about 190 employees and of these, about 45 are specialists / chief doctors / ST doctors in Pathology. Here, diagnostics of cell and tissue samples are performed from clinics and receptions representing both basic health care and highly specialized care. The laboratory for Clinical Pathology offers among others diagnostic services regarding histopathological and cytological examinations, puncture cytological reception, Molecular Pathology and autopsy activities. Conference activities are also conducted, as well as clinical development work and teaching.
Furthermore, in collaboration with the University of Gothenburg and the Sahlgrenska Academy, high-quality research is conducted with strong links to clinical activities.
The business is characterized by high competence, quality and efficiency. To meet customers’ specific requirements, we have representatives with special expertise and experience that covers all pathological subspecialties, including transplantation and skeletal muscle diagnostics. We also collaborate with laboratories both in Sweden and abroad.
Place of work
We are looking for specialists both for Sahlgrenska as well as for Borås and NÄL / Trollhättan.
Further information about salary etc. will be shared at the interview.
However, usually it is like this. Once one has reached B2-level, they move to Gothenburg and start a trial period as an assistant doctor with 50% language training and 50% clinical introduction until C1-level is reached and legitimation is obtained. Salary during this time is usually SEK 46,000 / month. After the probation period it will raise continuously up to 60-70.000 SEK or even more.
PLUS introductory program is applied to doctors trained in countries within the EU but outside of Sweden. Prerequisites are knowledge of the Swedish language at the lowest level B2 and employment in the Västra Götaland Region. Swedish licence to practice is not a requirement.
The purpose of PLUS is to create familiarity in the Swedish health care system for doctors trained abroad by contributing with increased knowledge and understanding. The goal is for the participants to develop good language skills, a good understanding of attitudes and treatment issues as well as familiarity with the regulations that apply, and which actors and partners exist around health care. This contributes to increased security for the participant and thus increased patient safety in care.
The education includes:
– continuation course in the Swedish language with communication and culture (level C1)
– lectures and seminars: topics related to the professional approach in Swedish health care; for example, interprofessional collaboration, ethics, person-centered care, laws and regulations, documentation, insurance medicine, mental illness and more
– group supervision in small groups with reflection on own experiences and theoretical sections, under the guidance of experienced doctors.
The training lasts for 34 weeks, 1-2 days per week depending on language level.
SAHLGRENSKA UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
Itis one of Northern Europe’s largest hospitals, located in Gothenburg, in the heart of Scandinavia. At Sahlgrenska you will have over 17 000 colleagues divided between all of our different units, and as a university hospital we focus on involving all our employees in innovation, research and education. We want you to develop together with your colleagues within your expertise.
In close collaboration with universities as well as with leading companies in the Gothenburg business area, we can provide a unique clinical range, high level of expertise and highly advanced technology.
The citysits beautifully on the Swedish west coast with the sea close by. Today Gothenburg has appr. 570 000 inhabitants and the city continues to grow every year. Gothenburg is among other things known for its unique archipelago, the fresh seafood and as an event city with a rich cultural life.
The size of the city makes it easy to get from one place to another either by bike, by foot or by tram which makes Gothenburg an appreciated city to live in.
FUN FACT!The city has been elected as Sweden’s most social and nicest town in many different international surveys.
Services offered by the employer and Mediflexible
- During the personal visit which is part of the interview process, the cost of travel and accommodation is financed by Mediflexible
- 7 months long, free Swedish course on C1-level, financial support during the course (the amount is topic of negotiation)
- Assistance during the application for Swedish license to practice, supervision of the process
- Assistance in finding a flat or house for the applicant
- Assistance in finding school/kindergarten for the children
- Assistance in the first steps to be able to settle down in Sweden
Documents required for application:
– Professional English CV in which your experience (number of completed examinations/surgeries, with differentiation between pre-and post-specialization experience) are detailed
– Cover letter
– scanned version of license to practice in home country with English translation (no official needed)
– scanned version of medical and specialist certificates with English translation (no official needed)
If you are interested please send your detailed professional CV and other necessary documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before the 4th of May.