Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg
Outpatient Care / Eastern Neuropsychiatry Reception / Västra Götaland
Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg
Requirements for education
Specialist in Psychiatry from within the EU
We are looking for you who are a specialist doctor with an interest in the target group, regardless of your experience in working with the specific patient group. The most important thing for us is that you are interested in working with the specific patient group. We will offer you the right support to gain the experience needed.
As a specialist doctor with us, you have, among other things, the following tasks:
– to participate in the Neuropsychiatric investigation process through the co-assessment model
– to be responsible for the patient’s treatment and follow-up
– to cooperate with other staff to provide the patient with adequate psychosocial treatment
– to supervise trainees and assistant doctors
– to participate in development and research work at the unit
– to participate in the clinic’s on-call line
The unit is an outpatient clinic with opening hours 8-16, Monday-Friday.
We encourage flexible working hours based on your specific conditions and needs, with some opportunity for telework.
We offer you who are new in the Swedish healthcare system regular guidance, mentorship and daily support in your work. Your service with us always begins with an introductory period to get to know our business and unit. We work a lot in team and we make sure to maintain a good work climate where you never feel alone. In addition, all patients have a responsible doctor and also a permanent care contact and a nurse responsible for the patient, and we strive for the patient’s contact with the care to take place primarily with a permanent care contact and a nurse responsible for the patient.
On-call duty at the Psychiatric Emergency Department is included with a shift per month, mostly as on-call.
There is a possibility for doing research. When one is done with PLUS, one can do research at 5% and one can also apply for extra means to get even more research time.
We have several ongoing projects. The advantage of NP is that we have a lot of patients and then it is easier to get started and quickly do large projects.
The NP organization’s goal is for all employees to do research or have some ongoing development work.
Planned date of employment
As soon as possible (after completing Swedish language course on B2-level).
Description of the business
Eastern Neuropsychiatric Reception is a subspecialized reception for adult patients with ADHD, Autism, Tourette’s syndrome and Intellectual disability with or without some psychiatric comorbidity.
The unit is one of the largest subspecialized Neuropsychiatric units in Sweden and offers care for approximately 3,000 patients. The reception employs more than 60 employees, of which 13 are specialist doctors and 4-5 assistant doctors. The reception also has space for the placement of 2 trainees. The clinic has 4 teams each of which has psychologists, nurses, occupational therapists, counselors, rehab coordinators and secretaries. We work closely with nurses and for each doctor position there is approximately one nurse.
The unit works actively with queues and has, despite the large influx, managed to guarantee care for all investigation and treatment efforts for our patients. The unit is constantly working on various improvement projects and has over the years received awards for some of these projects. Among other things, we have a strong focus on clear patient information, the introduction of clear standardizing processes and routines for digitization. In addition, the unit is currently actively working to establish an active research group with a focus on clinical research. The reception is very close to the centre of Gothenburg in a relatively newly built and nice local where the employees’ focus is to combine a good atmosphere and well-being with good and efficient work.
Broad career paths
Psychiatry is a discipline that offers many different career paths, which provides good opportunities for psychiatrists to find the career path that best suits them. For example, you can choose the leadership path and become a doctor chief, health care unit chief doctor, operations manager or study director for AT and ST doctors (trainees).
You can also specialize in a certain area, such as ADHD etc. Another group is doing research careers, while others are working with a broad category of patients with different types of psychiatric diagnoses.
Once one has reached B2-level, they move to Gothenburg and start a trial period as an assistant doctor with 50% language training and 50% clinical introduction named PLUS until C1-level is reached and legitimation is obtained. Salary during this time is SEK 46,000 / month. After the probation period it will raise up to 60-70.000 SEK or even more.
PLUS introductory program is applied to doctors trained in countries within the EU but outside of Sweden. Prerequisites are knowledge of the Swedish language at the lowest level B2 and employment in the Västra Götaland Region. Swedish licence to practice is not a requirement.
The purpose of PLUS is to create familiarity in the Swedish health care system for doctors trained abroad by contributing with increased knowledge and understanding. The goal is for the participants to develop good language skills, a good understanding of attitudes and treatment issues as well as familiarity with the regulations that apply and which actors and partners exist around health care. This contributes to increased security for the participant and thus increased patient safety in care.
The education includes:
– continuation course in the Swedish language with communication and culture (level C1)
– lectures and seminars: topics related to the professional approach in Swedish health care; for example, interprofessional collaboration, ethics, person-centred care, laws and regulations, documentation, insurance medicine, mental illness and more
– group supervision in small groups with reflection on own experiences and theoretical sections, under the guidance of experienced doctors.
The training lasts for 34 weeks, 1-2 days per week depending on language level.
Services offered by the employer and Mediflexible
- During the personal visit which is part of the interview process, the cost of travel and accommodation is financed by Mediflexible
- 5 months long, free Swedish course on B2-level, financial support during the course (the amount is topic of negotiation)
- Assistance during the application for Swedish license to practice, supervision of the process
- Assistance in finding a flat or house for the applicant
- Assistance in finding school/kindergarten for the children
- Assistance in the first steps to be able to settle down in Sweden
Documents required for application:
– Professional English CV in which your experience (number of completed examinations/surgeries, with differentiation between pre-and post-specialization experience) are detailed
– Cover letter
– scanned version of license to practice in home country with English translation (no official needed)
– scanned version of medical and specialist certificates with English translation (no official needed)
If you are interested please send your detailed professional CV and other necessary documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before the 27th of May.