Affective Psychiatry Västra Götaland
Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg
Requirements for education
Specialist in Psychiatry from within the EU
We are seeking psychiatrists for outpatient services at the Affective Psychiatry team, Mon-Fri, 8- 16.45. One will work primarily with anxiety and depression and have some years of experience in treating these conditions plus treating OCD, PTSD. On-call service and supervision of ST-doctors (trainees) are included in the service after one year.
Planned date of employment
As soon as possible (after completing Swedish language course on B2-level or after C1).
Description of the activity
As a university hospital, Affective Psychiatry’s mission is to offer our patients investigation and treatment and to carry out development work, education and research in collaboration with the Sahlgrenska Academy.
A prerequisite for successful work is close cooperation with our care neighbours and user organizations. Psychiatric care is shared between primary care and specialist psychiatry depending on patients’ care needs.
The Affective Psychiatry is one of five adult psychiatric areas of activity at Sahlgrenska
University Hospital that investigates and treats patients with:
– mood disorder (including bipolar disorder)
– neuropsychiatric conditions
– personality syndrome
– eating disorders
– anxiety disorder (including PTSD and obsessive-compulsive disorder)
– fatigue syndrome with psychiatric co-morbidity (regional assignment)
– complex self-harm behaviour (regional assignment)
Description of the clinic
The psychiatrists at Psychiatry Affective are divided into 3 different teams: Affective, Neuropsychiatry, Personality Disorders – one will be included in the Affective team.
Psychiatry Affective consists of 10 full-day departments and 10 psychiatric outpatient receptions staffed by specialist doctors, trainee doctors, sub-doctors, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, nurses and administrative staff.
Patients in ongoing treatment: 11000
New referrals per month: 450
Clinic budget: SEK 580 million
Number of employees: 650
Broad career paths
Psychiatry is a discipline that offers many different career paths, which provides good opportunities for psychiatrists to find the career path that best suits them. For example, you can choose the leadership path and become a doctor chief, health care unit chief doctor, operations manager or study director for AT and ST doctors (trainees).
You can also specialize in a certain area, such as bipolar disorder or self-harm behaviour. Another group is doing research careers, while others are working with a broad category of patients with different types of psychiatric diagnoses.
Once one has reached B2-level, they move to Gothenburg and start a trial period as an assistant doctor with 50% language training and 50% clinical introduction until C1-level is reached and legitimation is obtained. Salary during this time is SEK 46,000 / month (around 4.600 EUR). After the probation salary will depend on professional background and years of experience as a specialist doctor including experience in home-country. The lowest salary for young specialists with 0 years of experience starts from 59.000 SEK (around 5.900 EUR) but for a specialist with several years of professional background it can eve start from 6.500-7.000 EUR and it will raise continuously up to 7-8.000 EUR or even more.
PLUS introductory program is applied to doctors trained in countries within the EU but outside of Sweden. Prerequisites are knowledge of the Swedish language at the lowest level B2 and employment in the Västra Götaland Region. Swedish licence to practice is not a requirement.
The purpose of PLUS is to create familiarity in the Swedish health care system for doctors trained abroad by contributing with increased knowledge and understanding. The goal is for the participants to develop good language skills, a good understanding of attitudes and treatment issues as well as familiarity with the regulations that apply and which actors and partners exist around health care. This contributes to increased security for the participant and thus increased patient safety in care.
The education includes:
– continuation course in the Swedish language with communication and culture (level C1)
– lectures and seminars: topics related to the professional approach in Swedish health care; for example, interprofessional collaboration, ethics, person-centered care, laws and regulations, documentation, insurance medicine, mental illness and more
– group supervision in small groups with reflection on own experiences and theoretical sections, under the guidance of experienced doctors.
The training lasts for 34 weeks, 1-2 days per week depending on language level.
Services offered by the employer and Mediflexible
• During the personal visit which is part of the interview process, the cost of travel and accommodation is financed by Mediflexible
• Swedish course on C1-level, financial support during the course (the amount is topic of negotiation)
• Assistance during the application for Swedish license to practice, supervision of the process
• Assistance in finding school/kindergarten for the children
• Assistance in the organization of moving and in apartment-seeking
Documents required for application:
– Professional English CV in which your experience (number of completed examinations/surgeries, with differentiation between pre-and post-specialization experience) are detailed
– Cover letter
– scanned version of license to practice in home country with English translation (no official needed)
– scanned version of medical and specialist certificates with English translation (no official needed)
If you are interested please send your detailed professional CV and other necessary documents to email@example.com before the 27th of May.