Offer for specialist and resident doctors
Reception for Personality Syndrome
Sahlgrenska University Hospital (SU), Gothenburg
Västra Götaland Region
Requirements for education
- Specialist certificate in Psychiatry from an EU-country or at least three years of experience as a specialist in any EU-country.
- Specialist certificate in Child-and Adolescent Psychiatry from an EU-country or at least three years of experience as a specialist in any EU-country.
- EU-conform medical diploma & ongoing education in Psychiatry/ Child Psychiatry in EU where the speciality training is at an advanced stage.
Clinical experience and research skills are meritorious, but fundamental is a genuine interest in the patient group.
It is an advantage if you have experience with investigation and treatment of personality syndrome, and its co-morbidity.
It is an advantage if you also have an interest in organizational issues and method development. Since psychological treatments are the backbone of personality syndrome care, we would like to see that you have competence in and interest in working with psychotherapy, but this is not a necessary condition for applying for the position.
Planned date of employment
As soon as possible (after completing Swedish language course on B2-level).
Description of the activity
Reception for Personality Syndrome is a new highly specialized unit at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, the only one that investigates and treats personality disorders in the Greater Gothenburg area.
We offer an integrated treatment range that includes several evidence-based treatment methods: Unified Protocol, Dialectical behaviour therapy, Mentalization-based therapy, Emotion Regulation Group Training, Intensive short term dynamic therapy. The treatments are time-limited and structured based on a step-by-step care model.
The reception’s mission also includes investigation of personality syndrome and its co-morbidity. We are working to introduce the modern personality syndrome diagnostics according to ICD-11 and DSM-5-AMPD.
The working method is characterized by intensity, high competence and professionalism. Strong focus is on development and innovation. We conduct several research projects and invest in new and promising treatment methods.
Joining our sub-specialist reception for Personality Syndrome will offer challenging and developing work where you can contribute to our endeavour to become a leading knowledge centre for Personality Disorders.
Broad career paths
Psychiatry is a discipline that offers many different career paths, which provides good opportunities for psychiatrists to find the career path that best suits them. For example, you can choose the leadership path and become a doctor chief, health care unit chief doctor, operations manager or study director for AT and ST doctors (trainees).
You can also specialize in a certain area, such as bipolar disorder or self-harm behaviour. Another group is doing research careers, while others are working with a broad category of patients with different types of psychiatric diagnoses.
We are very research-oriented, so we welcome doctors who want to contribute with research to future knowledge within these areas, however, the first year is about learning the language and the routines at SU before it can become eligible to enter a research project.
The average salary for psychiatrists in Sweden is 80-88.000 SEK.
Once one has reached B2-level, they move to Gothenburg and start a trial period as an assistant doctor with 50% further language training and 50% clinical introduction until C1-level is reached and legitimation is obtained. Salary during this time is SEK 46,000 / month. After that the probation salary will depend on professional background and years of experience as a specialist doctor including experience in home-country. The lowest salary for young specialists with 0 years of experience starts from 59.000 SEK but for a specialist with several years of professional background it can even start from 65.500-70.000 SEK and it will raise continuously up to 80-90.000 SEK or even more.
The average salary for trainee-doctors is 48-53.000 SEK.
PLUS introductory program is applied to doctors trained in countries within the EU but outside of Sweden. Prerequisites are knowledge of the Swedish language at the lowest level B2 and employment in the Västra Götaland Region. Swedish licence to practice is not a requirement.
The purpose of PLUS is to create familiarity in the Swedish health care system for doctors trained abroad by contributing with increased knowledge and understanding. The goal is for the participants to develop good language skills, a good understanding of attitudes and treatment issues as well as familiarity with the regulations that apply, and which actors and partners exist around health care. This contributes to increased security for the participant and thus increased patient safety in care.
The education includes:
– continuation course in the Swedish language with communication and culture (level C1)
– lectures and seminars: topics related to the professional approach in Swedish health care; for example, interprofessional collaboration, ethics, person-centred care, laws and regulations, documentation, insurance medicine, mental illness and more
– group supervision in small groups with reflection on own experiences and theoretical sections, under the guidance of experienced doctors.
The training lasts for 34 weeks, 1-2 days per week depending on language level.
Services offered by the employer and Mediflexible
- During the personal visit which is part of the interview process, the cost of travel and accommodation is financed by Mediflexible
- Swedish course on C1-level, financial support during the course up to B2-level (the amount is topic of negotiation)
- Assistance during the application for Swedish license to practice, supervision of the process
- Assistance in finding school/kindergarten for the children
- Assistance in the organization of moving and in apartment-seeking
Documents required for application:
- Professional English CV in which your experience (number of completed examinations/surgeries, with differentiation between pre-and post-specialization experience) are detailed
- Cover letter
- scanned version of license to practice in home country with English translation (no official needed)
- scanned version of medical and specialist certificates with English translation (no official needed)
- two references
If you are interested, please send your detailed professional CV and other necessary documents to email@example.com